4021 Borman Drive • Batavia OH 45103 • (513) 735-4500 • map
|Link ANT-18 Trainer|
Edwin A. Link, founder of the Link Company, designed and built the first flight trainer in 1932 to help people learn to fly for less money than in an actual airplane. The first aviation trainer was a wooden fuselage mounted on organ bellows from his father's business, the Link Piano and Organ Company. A vacuum pump operated the bellows and gave the trainer the necessary movements to simulate flight.
In 1934 Link demonstrated his trainer's capabilities to the Army Air Corps officers in New Jersey. The Air Corps placed an initial order for six Link Trainers. The onset of WWII brought the demand for many flight trainers, and by the end of the war over 10,000 Link Trainers had been produced.
This ANT-18 Link Trainer was used to teach military cadet pilots to control an aircraft using only the instruments for reference - the same kind of flying they would encounter when flying a real aircraft in the clouds. The cadet sat in the trainer and has the same controls available as that of a real aircraft. The instrument panel contains all of the instruments and radios necessary for accurate flight simulation.
The instructor sat at an adjacent desk and was able to monitor the student's progress and communicate directly with him through a built-in radio system. The instructor was also able to introduce unexpected elements into the flight like rough air turbulence, cross winds, instrument and radio failures.
An estimated 50 hours of flight time was needed for cadet pilot to become proficient in instrument flying. The Link Trainer made it possible for the majority of this training time to be spent in simulated instrument conditions, saving considerable expense when compared to training in real aircraft. Over 191,600 pilots were trained in the United States between 1941 and 1945 and the majority learned their instrument flying skills in a Link Instrument Flight Trainer.
The Willy-Overland Model MB U.S. Army Jeep was manufactured from 1941 to 1945. These small four-wheel drive vehicles are considered iconic World War II motorized transportation. During World War II Willys produced 363,000 Jeeps. One account of the origin of the name "jeep" begins when the prototypes were being proven at military bases - the term "jeep" was used by soldiers for any untried or untested personnel or equipment.
This representation of the 353rd Fighter Group barracks based in Raydon, England is filled with memorabilia from World War II aviators and provides a look at what American fighter pilots called home when stationed in England.