4021 Borman Drive • Batavia OH 45103 • (513) 735-4500 • map
|P-51D Mustang - "Cincinnati Miss"|
The North American P-51 Mustang was a successful long range fighter aircraft which set new standards of excellence and performance when it entered service in the middle years of World War II (1943) and is still regarded as one of the very best piston-engined fighters ever made.
The P-51D was the definitive version of this single-seat fighter, powered by a supercharged Merlin engine driving a single prop. Armament consisted of six .50 caliber machine guns. Some aircraft had rocket rails added to the undersides of the wings to carry up to eight rockets per plane.
The Rolls-Royce (Packard) Merlin V-1650-7 engine delivered 1,695 hp, and allowed a maximum speed of 437 mph, a service ceiling of 41,800 feet, and a combat range of 1,000 miles.
A total 7,956 P-51D/K Mustangs were built.
|AT-6D Texan - "Tweety"|
The T-6 Texan was a single-engine, advanced trainer aircraft designed by North American Aviation and used to train fighter pilots of the USAAF, US Navy, Royal Air Force and other air forces of the British Commonwealth during World War II. The Texan is known by a variety of designations depending on the model and operating air force. The USAAC called it the "AT-6", the US Navy, the "SNJ", and the Commonwealth Air Forces, the "Harvard".
The AT-6D featured a Pratt & Whitney R-1340-AN-1 Wasp single row radial engine, delivering 600 hp with a maximum speed of 242 mph and a range of 730 miles. The aircraft could be armed with two .30 calibre machine guns and 25 lb practice bombs.
There were 3,713 AT-6D model Texans built, and a total of 15,495 Texans of all variants were produced.
|Grumman TBM-3 Avenger|
The Grumman TBM-3 Avenger was aptly named, playing a major part in the sinking of over 60 ships of the Imperial Japanese Navy after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
Two features made the Avenger outstanding. It was the first single-engined American aircraft to incorporate a power-operated gun turret, and the first to carry the heavy 22 inch MK3 torpedo. It could also carry bombs, rockets, and depth charges. 9,836 Avengers were produced by Grumman and General Motors. The Wright R-2600-20 Cyclone 14 engine could deliver 1,900 hp. The aircraft had a maximum speed of 267 mph, a ceiling of 23,400 ft, and a range 1,130 miles.
Torpedo attacks by Avengers played the predominant role in the sinking of the largest Japanese battleships ever built, the Musashi and Yamato, in October 1944 and April 1945 respectively. The Avenger entered Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm service in January 1943 and the British Pacific Fleet's Avengers made devastating attacks on oil refineries in support of the Americans' final drive on Japan in 1945.
|B-25 Mitchell - s/n 45-8898|
B-25 Mitchell is a twin-engined, medium bomber manufactured by North American Aviation in the United States and used during World War II. When production of the plane ended, approximately 10,000 had been built, including the PBJ-1 Navy Patrol Bomber and an F-10 reconnaissance version. While the B-25 was meant originally to bomb from medium altitudes in level flight, it was used frequently in the Pacific Theatre in treetop-level missions against Japanese airfields and for operations such as strafing and skip-bombing against enemy Japanese shipping. The B-25 is most famous as the bomber used in the 1942 Doolittle Raid, where the raiders took off from the aircraft carrier USS Hornet, and bombed mainland Japan.
The B-25 is powered by two Wright R-2600 Cyclone engines, each delivering up to 1,700 hp. The bomber had a top speed of 275 mph, a combat range of 1,350 miles, and ceiling of 25,000 feet.
|Boeing Stearman Model 75|
The Stearman model 75, widely known as the Stearman, Boeing Stearman (Stearman became a subsidiary of Boeing in 1934), or Kaydet was a biplane built in the United States during the 1930s as a military trainer aircraft.
It served as the basic trainer for the USAAC and USN throughout World War II and after the conflict was over, thousands of surplus aircraft were sold on the civil market. In the immediate post-war years they became popular as crop dusters and as sport planes.
The Kaydet was of rugged construction and conventional biplane design with large, fixed tailwheel undercarriage and accommodation for the student and instructor in tandem open cockpits. The 220HP Continental Motors radial engine was uncowled.
|Piper PA-16 Clipper|
Built in 1949 by the Piper Aircraft Corporation of Lock Haven, PA this PA-16 "Clipper" was one of only 736 examples of the type. Designed as an affordable four-place aircraft to appeal to returning World War II servicemen as low cost family transportation. In 1949 the Clipper sold for $2,995. The average four-place airplane on the market at that time cost over $5,000.
The Honorable Judge Art Spiegel of Cincinnati purchased this aircraft in 1963 and has owned it for 46 years. He travelled extensively with his family all over the United States and wrote a book titled "My Significant Other - 93 Hotel". Chronicling his flying adventures in his beloved Piper Clipper. Copies of Art's book are available for sale here at the Tri-State Warbird Museum.
In 2009 Judge Spiegel donated his "Significant Other" to the Tri-State Warbird Museum.